VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) are IRS-sponsored programs operated by local volunteers to provide FREE, CONFIDENTIAL and SECURE preparation and e-filing of Federal and Colorado State income taxes for taxpayers who qualify. For the 2018 tax year (filed in 2019), this service is available for basic returns with income up to about $54,000. The income limitation is per return, so couples filing joint returns must have a combined income of about $54,000 or less.

See what types of forms a VITA/TCE site can prepare.
Learn what to expect when you visit a VITA/TCE site.
Find out what you need to bring with you.

Find a Location Near You

MyFreeTaxesIf you do not qualify for VITA/TCE services, or for some some reason can’t use VITA/TCE services, you can use MyFreeTaxes.com, an online service that lets you prepare your own taxes for free, with telephone support from VITA volunteers if you have questions. Phone and Live Chat support is available from 10am to 10pm ET, Monday through Friday, and Noon to 9pm ET on Saturdays.

The Affordable Care Act and Your Taxes

The IRS administers the tax provisions included in the Affordable Care Act. The Individual Shared Responsibility Provision requires you and each member of your family to have qualifying health insurance, to qualify for an exemption, or to make a shared responsibility payment when you file your federal income tax return. If you get your insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you may be eligible for a Premium Tax Credit.

If you got insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace (for example, from healthcare.gov or connectforhealthco.com), you will receive a form 1095-A. You must bring this form with you to the VITA or TCE site that you visit.

If you, your spouse, or any dependent claimed on your tax return did not have insurance coverage for the entire year, you may be required to make a Shared Responsibility Payment on your tax return. For more information, visit www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act.

Will you qualify for EITC this year?

You may qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on your tax return. If Eligible, you must file a tax return to claim your EITC.

Check out the EITC Assistant, an interactive tool that shows you whether or not you qualify, and why. The EITC Assistant is available on www.irs.gov/eitc or call 1-800-TAX-1040 for more information.

Life's a little easier with EITC