If you do not qualify for VITA/TCE services, you can use MyFreeTaxes, an online service that lets you prepare your own taxes for free, with telephone support if you have questions.
*** IMPORTANT ***
Along with bringing your government-issued photo-ID to a VITA/TCE site, you MUST have one of the following for everyone on your return:
- A Social Security Card, or
- ITIN paperwork, or
- A Social Security Statement (SSA-1099)
Due to the rise in identity theft, VITA/TCE sites can no longer use memorized numbers or numbers from other tax paperwork. This is true even if you had prior year returns prepared at the same VITA/TCE site.
Now You Can Do Your Own Taxes
With The Help Of VITA Certified Volunteers
VITA Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) + MyFreeTaxes
VITA FSA has partnered up with MyFreeTaxes to provide free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals. It’s easy, safe, secure and 100 percent free (including free e-filing). This program lets you prepare your own return online with telephone assistance from VITA/TCE certified tax preparation volunteers as needed.
Visit My Free Taxes to get started.
Will you qualify for EITC this year?
You may qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on your 2013 tax return. If eligible, you must file a tax return to claim your EITC.
- you earned under $46,227 and have three or more qualifying children ($51,567 if married !ling jointly)
- you earned under $43,038 and have two qualifying children ($48,378 if married !ling jointly)
- you earned under $37,870 and have one qualifying child ($43,210 if married !ling jointly)
- you earned under $14,340 and have no qualifying child ($19,680 if married !ling jointly)
Check out the EITC Assistant, an interactive tool that shows you whether or not you qualify, and why. The EITC Assistant is available on www.irs.gov/eitc or call 1-800-TAX-1040 for more information.