To obtain an ITIN:

  1. Prepare a federal tax return, but leave the Social Security Number information blank.  If your spouse or any dependents have a valid Social Security Number, include those on the tax return.
  2. Fill out an application for an ITIN (Form W-7).  The VITA site can print one out for you.
  3. Mail in your ITIN application with your federal tax return attached, and also include the required documents for proof of identity and foreign status (see below).  The completed application, documents, and federal tax return should be mailed to:
    Internal Revenue Service

    Austin Service Center

    ITIN Operation

    P.O. Box 149342

    Austin, TX  78714-9342

For proof of identity and foreign status, you must include a certified or notarized copy of an unexpired passport, or certified and notarized copies of two of the documents listed below.  The documents must show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

  • National ID card (with name, photo, current address, birth date, expiration date)
  • U.S. or foreign driver’s license
  • Civil birth certificate
  • U.S. state ID card
  • Foreign voter’s registration card
  • Foreign military ID card
  • Visa
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo ID
  • Medical records (only for dependents under 14 years old)
  • School records (only for dependents and/or students under 18 years old)
Different Language?


Why is Tax Day April 17?

The filing deadline to submit 2017 tax returns is Tuesday, April 17, 2018, rather than the traditional April 15 date. In 2018, April 15 falls on a Sunday, and this would usually move the filing deadline to the following Monday – April 16. However, Emancipation Day – a legal holiday in the District of Columbia – will be observed on that Monday, which pushes the nation’s filing deadline to Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Under the tax law, legal holidays in the District of Columbia affect the filing deadline across the nation.