To obtain an ITIN:
- Prepare a federal tax return, but leave the Social Security Number information blank. If your spouse or any dependents have a valid Social Security Number, include those on the tax return.
- Fill out an application for an ITIN (Form W-7). The VITA site can print one out for you.
- Mail in your ITIN application with your federal tax return attached, and also include the required documents for proof of identity and foreign status (see below). The completed application, documents, and federal tax return should be mailed to:
Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
For proof of identity and foreign status, you must include a certified or notarized copy of an unexpired passport, or certified and notarized copies of two of the documents listed below. The documents must show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.
- National ID card (with name, photo, current address, birth date, expiration date)
- U.S. or foreign driver’s license
- Civil birth certificate
- U.S. state ID card
- Foreign voter’s registration card
- Foreign military ID card
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo ID
- Medical records (only for dependents under 14 years old)
- School records (only for dependents and/or students under 18 years old)