I received a letter from the IRS after filing my taxes; what do I do?

If you received a letter from the IRS because they corrected your return after it was filed, you should follow the instructions provided with the letter. If you disagree with the changes made by the IRS, you can dispute the changes by providing additional information to show why their changes are incorrect. Instructions for disputing the changes should be provided in the letter.

If you do not understand why the changes were made, you should contact the IRS for clarification. If the VITA site that prepared your return is open year-round, they may be able to assist with explaining the changes, and possibly with filing an amended return if required. For more complicated changes – or if the site that prepared your taxes is closed for the season – you should contact the IRS for assistance. The letter you received should contain information on who to contact.

VITA sites are not authorized to assist with tax disputes or audits. If you need professional assistance, there are Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) in Colorado that will represent low-income taxpayers in audits, appeals, and collection issues. More information on LITCs and whether you qualify can be found on the IRS website.

The IRS also has a Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). If you have tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have not gotten to resolution, TAS pay be able to help. More information on TAS can be found on the IRS website.