All VITA sites can prepare basic tax returns, with these forms:
- Forms 1040 (including 1040-EZ and 1040-A) – Federal Tax Return
- Schedule A – Itemized Deductions
- Schedule B – Interest and Dividends
- Schedule C and C-EZ – Business Expenses, with less than $25,000 in expenses to report (no losses)
- Simple Schedule D – Capital Gains and Losses where the cost basis is provided on form 1099-B
- Simple Schedule E for Royalties or income reported on Schedule K-1
- Schedule EIC – Earned Income Credit
- Schedule SE – Self Employment Tax
- Form 2441 – Child Care Expenses
- Form 8863 – Education Credits
- Form 104 – Colorado Tax Return
Some VITA sites can also prepare international or military returns.
More complex returns CANNOT be prepared at a VITA site.
This includes returns with the following forms:
- Schedule C – Business Expenses with:
- An overall loss to report
- More than $25,000 in expenses to deduct
- Deductions for depreciation
- Deductions for business use of the home
- Complex Schedule D – Capital Gains and Losses
- Schedule E – Rental Income
- Other forms for complex tax concerns
Contact your local site if you are not sure whether your return qualifies.